Sunday, July 24, 2011

What does an angel say?

Mr. Destructo is so contrary that he really gets a kick out of giving wrong answers just to get a rise out of you when you are asking him questions.  I joke with Car Guy that it's a good thing we don't need private school because if Mr. Destructo had to be tested, he'd give all his wrong answers and they'd think he's retarded.  This morning I was trying to get him to sit still while I clipped his fingernails so I kept him occupied by getting him to tell me what sounds are associated with certain things.

Me:  What does a pig say?
Nate:  Moo!
Me:  What does a duck say?
Nate:  Moo!
Me:  What does a rabbit say?
Nate:  Moo!
Me:  What does a cow say? (thinking I could trick him)
Nate:  OINK!  (lots of laughing, knowing he got around my trick)

But when I ask him about things that he is really interested in, he will give the right answer.

Me:  What does a monster truck say?
Nate:  VVVVVrrrrrooooommmmm!
Me:  What does a robot say?
Nate:  am-a-robot am-a-robot (using a very mechanical, robot-y voice)
Me:  What does a crane say?
Nate:  MMMMMrrrrrr-crshhhhhh

Sometimes I will ask him about something that I'm pretty sure he won't be familiar with just to see what he would say.

Me:  What does an angel say?
Nate:  (growling) I'm going to get you!

I started laughing until tears ran from my eyes.  I thought he would have no idea what an angel is because we're not Christian and we have no books that include angels in the storyline.  I suppose his teachers at the church preschool could have mentioned angels but after I stopped laughing, Mr. Destructo asked me what an angel does.  That's normally a sign that he doesn't know what a thing is.  I just thought it was hilarious that he gave one of his signature contrary answers without even really knowing what an angel is.

No comments:

Post a Comment