Friday, May 24, 2013

Bye-bye Schoolhouse and Hello Kindergarten

Today was the graduation ceremony at Mr. Destructo's preschool. While we were getting ready this morning, Mr. Destructo was unusually pensive.

Mr. D: After graduation, D and T (his teachers) will miss me a lot. D is already missing me because she is at the hospital. (D is recovering from surgery so she has missed the last week of school.)
Me: I bet they will miss you. Are you going to miss them?
Mr. D: (is very quiet for a while, so long that I think he's just not going to answer) (very, very softly) Yes.

I related this conversation to T after graduation. She told me that a few days ago while Mr. Destructo was using the bathroom, he asked her if she will miss him. Mr. Destructo is a very slow eater and Ms. J, B's mom, who works in the classroom one day a week, is very entertaining company when he is the last one left with his lunch. Ms. J told me that he asked to sit with her twice this week and also hugged her once when he'd had a playground mishap. He has expressed very exuberant excitement about leaving preschool and going to kindergarten. I'm surprised he is showing so much attachment to the Schoolhouse now that the end draws near.


No comments:

Post a Comment