Mr. Destructo went off to his first day of kindergarten today. He had his giant backpack and new lunch bag. His dad walked him to his classroom with the humongous mountain of supplies that Ms. C requested. Even though his backpack only held his lunch bag and a water bottle, he was complaining that it was too heavy. Ms. O, the principal, heard his whining and told him it would only get worse as he got older. Ha!
I told him I'd have a surprise for him after school if he cooperated and posed for pictures to memorialize the day. His dad took a bunch of pictures of him at school--in front of school, in his classroom, using a urinal in the bathroom. Nice.
I told him I'd have a surprise for him after school if he cooperated and posed for pictures to memorialize the day. His dad took a bunch of pictures of him at school--in front of school, in his classroom, using a urinal in the bathroom. Nice.
I picked up the kids and announced that the surprise was any item of his choice from the food court menu at Costco. They both had the berry smoothie. On the way to Costco, I asked Mr. Destructo about his day. He said he played blocks, made a friend whose name he can't remember, listened to a story, listened to a song, went to lunch, went to recess (it was very dusty), and had a nap (but he didn't sleep). He also said he drew a black Spiderman. Then it seemed like what he did was color a sheet of paper that had the outline of a gingerbread cookie on it and he chose to color it black like the evil Spiderman. But he didn't bring it home so we aren't sure.
He told me with great urgency that a boy forgot to bring his lunch from home and (gasp!) had to eat the lunch at school! I explained that some kids purposely don't bring lunch to school and buy lunch instead. Mr. Destructo was skeptical about that. He said he was sad for the boy. When I asked why, he said that lunch from home is better because it's fresher.
In his folder from school, the teacher included his assessment. It seems like we have taught him enough about letters and numbers but we neglected to teach him the days of the week or the names of all the months. He could only name October, probably because that is when his birthday is. The assessment also said he couldn't write his name. I think he must have been feeling lazy. I'm just glad he cooperated enough with Ms. C so that she could do the entire assessment.
He must have had quite a day. We hit traffic on the way home and he slept the entire way back.
No comments:
Post a Comment